A RECIPE TO RE-CREATE NO.4’S PRIVATE DINING EXPERIENCE AT HOME
A recipe to try at home from No.4 Hamilton Place
We pride ourselves on the quality of our catering here at No.4 Hamilton Place. Foodbydish, our in-house team, create fabulous meals, canapés and bowls for every occasion including weddings, summer parties and dinners. To give you a taste of the culinary delights on offer at our historic London town house, our Head Chef, Paulo Ferreira, has created a delicious recipe for a dish for you to try at home.
Pan Fried Cod, Yellow Split Peas and Carrots, Crispy Potatoes with Caper and Parsley Dressing and Crispy Capers to Garnish, serves 4
Ingredients for recipe
Yellow split peas and carrots
200g yellow split peas
3 medium carrots, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1½tbsp of tomato puree
1tbsp chicken stock
Dash of olive oil
2 bay leaves
1/2tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/2tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
Pinch of salt and pepper
Approx 1 litre water depending on the type of split peas
4 cod fillets approx. 180 g each
Salt and pepper
Crispy Potatoes and Capers
4 medium potatoes peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
200ml vegetable oil
Caper and Parsley dressing
1 large shallot, roughly chopped
1tsp English Mustard
1tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp white wine vinegar
5tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Pinch pepper and sugar
2tsp chives, finely chopped (garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰ – this is for the cod.
- For the split peas. Melt the butter in a saucepan together with the olive oil on a mid to low heat. Add the onions, garlic and sweat them for 3 mins. Then add the split peas, carrots, chicken stock, tomato puree, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme and stir for a further 3 mins then add the water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer until the peas and carrots become soft, roughly 40 mins to an hour depending on the type of peas.
- For the dressing. Blend all the ingredients in a liquidiser, it doesn’t need to be smooth in fact it’s better left slightly coarse.
- For the crispy potatoes. Boil until they begin to soften then drain from the water. Dry the saucepan and re-use it to heat 200ml vegetable oil and fry the potatoes until golden. Remove and set aside, keeping them warm. (If you have a deep fat fryer, fry at 140 degrees until crispy.) Next, fry the capers for approx. 2 mins until crispy, then remove from oil and also set aside.
- For the cod. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a dash of olive oil, while the pan is heating up, season the cod fillets on both sides with salt and pepper. When the pan is hot put the cod in skin side down. Once sealed and the skin golden turn over and seal the other side until golden. Then transfer to an oven proof dish and place in the pre-heated oven for approx. 7-8 mins.
- Plate up. Spoon the split peas and carrots onto a warmed plate then carefully place the cod on top in the centre. Place the crispy potatoes towards the edge of the plate around the cod. Drizzle the dressing on top of the cod and don’t worry if it runs over the edge.
- Garnish. Sprinkle with the crispy capers and finely chopped chives and serve.
If you’re looking for somewhere really special to hold a private dinner, our historic, central London venue could be the place for you. We have ten very different spaces, each of which can offer something unique for your special occasion meal. From the ornate Argyll Room with its period features and huge bow window to the more intimate but equally impressive Handley Page Room, there will be a space to suit your function.
Our in-house caterers, Foodbydish, have created fantastic lunch and dinner menus starting at £49.75 per person which include dishes such as; House Cured Salmon Gravlax starter, Baked Pork Belly main course and Strawberry Pavlova for dessert. Our chef looks to impress with all of his innovative menus. To look at the full spring/summer and autumn/winter offering, whet your appetite here.