HAMILTON’S HISTORY PART 3
The expansion of No. 4 Hamilton Place
Welcome to Part 3 of ‘Hamilton’s History.’ This month we are learning about the expansion of No. 4 Hamilton Place into the beautiful event venue that we can see today.
In 1939 No. 4 Hamilton Place became the home of the Royal Aeronautical Society. The house suffered blast damage during World War II, however still stands strong today.
By 1957, the Royal Aeronautical Society’s programme of lectures and conferences and the lack of suitable halls for hire meant that the Society’s Council considered moving to premises owning a lecture theatre. However, the reconstruction of Hyde Park Corner and the chance to purchase land from a neighbouring garden gave the opportunity to build on the Society’s garden.
Below we can see Hyde Park Corner before the reconstruction and the addition of the Lecture Theatre.
A successful appeal by the RAeS President at the time, Sir Arnold Hall, raised most of the money and the lecture theatre was opened in December 1960. At the same time the opportunity was taken to add a fifth floor to the top of the house to provide additional office space. During 2003 the lecture theatre was refurbished and re-equipped following a kind donation from the Boeing Company and officially reopened as the Bill Boeing Lecture Theatre by Phil Condit, then chairman and CEO of the Boeing Company, on 10 November 2003.
On December 16th 2013 we had the pleasure of welcoming Sir Roger Bone, President of Boeing UK and Ireland, to No. 4 Hamilton Place for the re-dedication of the Bill Boeing Lecture Theatre. The re-dedication was to mark the extensive refurbishment of the Lecture Theatre in 2013 and Boeing’s 75th year of partnership with the UK.